Shepherd of the Valley Presbyterian Church
Shepherd of the Valley is part of the Presbyterian Church (USA). In 1968 the Presbytery of the Rio Grande announced that it was in the process of establishing a new church in Albuquerque’s North Valley, purchasing four acres at 1801 Montano Blvd NW.
Northminster Presbyterian Church at Indian School and 7th learned they would have to move buildings due to construction of I-40. Alameda Presbyterian Church near Alameda and 4th lost their pastor. These two congregations decided to join together to form a vital ministry in the North Valley.
Shepherd of the Valley Church was founded in 1969, meeting at Douglas MacArthur Elementary School for worship. The organizing minister was a young and vibrant Irishman named David McConaughy. The sanctuary and education building at 1801 Montano Rd were completed in 1972.
Our original church facility, built in large part by hand by church members, consisted of the church offices, including bathrooms, the original sanctuary, which we now call the fellowship hall, the kitchen, and another bathroom. Those parts of the building are 54years old
In the early 1980’s we added the preschool building, which is now approximately 40 years old.
The second called and installed pastor was the Rev. Phillip Butin, who served from 1993-2002. During his time, the new sanctuary and gathering space were constructed.
In 1999, we purchased and installed a portable building with restrooms. The portable is 24 years old.
In 2002, the congregation financed an expansion. We added a new gathering space, a nursery, a choir room, restrooms, and a new sanctuary. In addition, we expanded our parking and landscaping. At that time we also expanded the kitchen and created the openings in the wall between our present fellowship hall, and our kitchen/library for better traffic flow. These 2002 additions are now 21 years old.
The Rev. Thomas Hart was called and installed in 2004 and served through 2022 as head pastor. The Rev. Sarah Chivington-Buck was called and installed in 2018 as the first associate pastor to serve Shepherd of the Valley.